Sunday, July 10, 2011

July 9th Update Part 1 --- Outdoors

This is the outdoors version of July 9th --- before the bugs got too bad to be in the garage.

Alright, well, I have some big updates from this Saturday! My friend Collin came out from Madison for the weekend, and he was on board with building a clock with me. Actually, he would build one, and I would build my main one. However, I got side-tracked again when I realized that Aaron had sent me some extra flashing RGB LEDs. As I was rewatching 12oz on my laptop to take screenshots of certain characters.. I noticed that the lights would be perfect to create the dream scene when Fitz is floating around in black space with colorful stars all around him. So, that's what I started. Collin, on the other hand, would be building the Asprind clock.


This is the beginning of the Asprind clock. There will be 12 yellow LEDs going into each of those holes that were drilled. On the back of the clock, I drew out a grid and placed the LED locations on the line connecting the time (12,1,2,3pm..) to the center. So, while it looks like an oblique ellipse, the LEDs actually act as numerals of a normal clock. Just a little abstract.

Both the Asprind clock and Dream clock got a coat of black paint.
We made the decision that one of the UV cold cathodes was going to make its way onto the Asprind clock. So, Collin covered the black paint in a thin layer of florescent green paint. It gives it a really eery and textured look to it.

^ I made Collin rout wells to lay copper wire in. This made connecting the LEDs with solder about 10 times easier than the clock clock I made first. Oh yea, "Hi", Collin.


Me soldering.
This is how I feel after finding out my soldering didn't work, and I need to redo it.


If you can tell by all the penciling on the back.. things are always more complicated than they seem at first.

No comments:

Post a Comment